Thursday, December 4, 2008

New Direction

I'm just going to start blogging random things. It seems that this is what I do best. So, for today:

VOCATION


I've been thinking a lot about vocation. That internal question and inkling of answer: "Where am I going in life? How will I get there? What am I 'supposed' to do?"

This question is especially interesting when it is posed in terms of the life of Jesus of Nazareth. When did Jesus understand his vocation? Was that understanding always fully present? From birth? From adolescence? When? How?

Again, we have questions and inklings of answers. He was in the synagogue as a youth asking astounding questions. He was acutely aware of John the Baptist's mission and went to him. There, Jesus was absolutely convinced of his own mission at his baptism, in the desert for 40 days, on the mount of Transfiguration, in Gethsemane.

Though all of these events point to confirmation, none point too far afield of our own experience in life. We certainly won't have the audible words of delight from God the Father, but we should surely expect moments of clarity, moments of assurance - but likely never a "writing in the sky" sort of epiphany where everything is abundantly clear from the cradle to the grave.

Vocation is a slippery thing. I wonder if the word 'vocation' or 'calling' is appropriate because it indicates a clear directive? Or is it appropriate because it indicates something less tangible: a voice from down the hall or from around the corner - always just audible, never quite perfectly clear? I wonder if God chooses this way for us because it means we must listen more intently and pray with ever increasing fervency.

I actually think the voice behind the vocation is intentionally soft.

No comments: